General Expectations of Those In Leadership (Par. 3402)
Leadership in the church is an honor that has accompanying responsibilities and sacrifices. The Scriptures describe the qualities of leaders in such passages as Exodus 18:21, Acts 6:3, 1 Timothy 3:1-13, Titus 1:5-9. Those who are chosen to lead in the church do so in a spirit of humility and dependence upon God. They must be spiritually mature individuals whose lifestyle shall be in harmony with Scriptures, the doctrines of the Free Methodist Church (Par. 100-131), the principles of the Membership Covenant (Par. 154-160), which are the goals of our maturing life in Christ, and of the selection of leaders (Par. 6200.E)
Leadership and / or policy-making positions shall be filled with members who (Par. 6200.E.2)
- Live consistently within scriptural guidelines (expectations) for leaders (e.g. Exodus 18:21, Acts 6:3, 1 Timothy 3:1-13 and Titus 1:5-9) and express Christ-like attitudes in life and in relationships (e.g. Matthew 20:26-28, John 15:12-17, Acts 6:1-7 and Ephesians 4:1-17)
- Give evidence of spiritual gifts such as leadership, faith, and administration;
- Agree with and sincerely seek to live out the goals for their maturing life in Christ (i.e. the principles of membership covenant);
- Continue in harmony with our doctrine and mission; and
- Are vital in faith, faithful in attendance and financially supportive of their church to at least the level of a tithe.